Monday, March 27, 2017

Spring is Here

Whoops! I gave away this month's entry with my blog title alone! That's right; you guessed it. Spring has sprung and man am I glad. Britain's winters, albeit green, are long, dark, cold, and wet! This new arrival has brought new life to my spirit and has me skipping.

The beginning of a new season means something else that is very significant to our little family...we have been in the UK now for over 6 months. Can you believe that? We are already 1/6 of the way through our assignment. I don't know whether to be happy or rushed to get out and take in more sights...maybe a bit of both?

Regardless of my feelings, I think 6 months is an appropriate amount of time to astutely say all that Britain does well. My first 6 months were just simply jam packed with adjustments and cultural differences that made for a rocky start. Now that I am feeling settled, I find myself thinking..."Hmm, well done, UK."

This blog is dedicated to all the wonderful things that Great Britain has to offer. I feel impressed to say that these are things you may not fully get to understand or appreciate if you simply visit or holiday here rather than reside. For all those planning to make the big leap on over and are feeling a bit of trepidation, I trust these words will bring you smiles and HOPE!

SPRING!!!🌷🌼🌸

Never have I lived in an area that has had a true spring. (Hey, Montana, that is a period of transition between winter and summer that lasts longer than 2 weeks!) Spring in the UK means the sun has come back a few more days a month and isn't departing for the day at 3:30 p.m. There has been a steady increase in sunny days with warmer temperatures in the air. There is hope for a swap from wellies to flip-flops in my near future. The dog walkers are out and so are the runners. Heck, even this mama got a tune-up on her jogging stroller and has set out on new adventures with the baby in tow. 

The first signs of Spring. 
What is even more breathtaking than the allure of sunshine are the flowers. I can't begin to describe it. On one non-specific day, I routinely left the house to pick up my kids from school and what would greet me 3/4 of the way there were these pretty and dainty little buds just barely peeking above the scraps of grass. They were bright purple and they were numerous. After further inspection, I noticed a peek-a-boo of baby "snow drops" peering up over the glistening blades as well. 

What girl doesn't love flowers? I couldn't wait to show Paisley on our way home what new delights would await us. Naturally, my girl with no sense of urgency, had to stop and smell them all and pick several. I didn't mind though. For once, we weren't blasting home back to a heated house. We were simply enjoying the pleasures of our new homeland. 

A random patch of daffodils.
As impressed as I was about this small patch of wild flowers, the next three weeks had me stopping to take pictures. I thought, "I have to share these images with my readers." Britain is beautiful in the spring. Daffodils are popping up literally everywhere you look. Stone walls have come to life with blooms of every color and the trees are putting on fresh coats of leaves and blossoms of their own. 

There is one tree in particular that I have come to fall in love with from the first day I laid eyes on its enormous buds. Today, they finally cracked open and have sprouted the most gorgeous fist-sized flowers. I honestly want this tree in every garden (backyard) I will ever live in for the rest of my life! It is stunning!



Here are some more pictures I've taken over the last 3 weeks...

Paisley's favorite flower!
Every tree on the block is surrounded with a base of flowers.

Another bush with vibrant colors!
These are a funny looking flower that are turning up all over. I love them!

Baking Sheets

Too random? I'm telling you. If you spend half your life over a hot stove or in and out of a boiling oven, you too will relish in the sweet pleasure of baking on a British cookie sheet. No wonder they don't have Pam cooking spray. They don't need it.

I don't know what is on these magnificent metal boards, but cookies and everything else just slide off, AND they never discolor. They look as new as the day I bought them. Get this, I paid less than 3 quid for each of them. I have seriously considered stocking up on these jewels before returning home.

Give me a shout if you want one! Friends, I know what you will be getting for Christmas, baby showers, bridal showers, birthdays, and any other festive celebration to come. You will be getting a cooking sheet...you're welcome!

Birds

On a slightly comical note, Britain, what is with the size of your pigeons? Seriously! Aaron and I were just conversing the other day and were wondering what in the world is with the fat birds in this country. I swear each one of them looks to be ready to lay a half dozen eggs at any moment. We were wondering what they are eating. Fruit? Rodents? Stray cats? Small children? 

The eagles and hawks are none too small either. Are there hunting bans in this country that have protected these species allowing them to grow into the size of small dinosaurs? They are certainly plentiful, too. I can count on one hand the number of bald eagles I have seen in America in my lifetime. I would need all my digits to tally up the golden eagles I have seen since living in Oxford. Then again, maybe those are just their baby robins flying up there. πŸ˜‚

Walkways 

You might be thinking to yourself, America has walkways. Yes, they do, but not like Britain. For every destination you can think of or imagine, there is also a way to get there on foot. While the mass transit (another star point for the UK) is a user-friendly joy, I find the means for foot transportation equally as accessible and delightful. There are so many trails and footpaths that each day can bring a new and beautiful scenic route from point A to point B. Even several of your major motorways, have a bike and foot path running parallel alongside them. 

I've just started going off the beaten path a little more here and there to break up my runs, and I can emphatically say I will be doing it a lot more often. There is just too much to see!


Kid's Clothes

If you are planning to move here, there's no need to stock up on clothes for your kids before arriving. There are several kids shops here and the clothes are dirt cheap. I'm talking cheaper than Wal-Mart, but the quality of Target or Kohl's. It's unfortunate my kids have to sport a uniform 90% of the time, but the clothes here are fab, and I'm afraid I just line their dressers and wardrobes with cuteness. However, if you've got a wee one, plan on stocking up on your threads here! You won't be disappointed! 

Bookstores 

Some of my favorite memories from college were when I had saved up enough money to allow myself a trip to the bookstore. I would splurge grabbing a hot cocoa and then hit the aisles for endless taste-testing of novels, ending the night with usually two or three books I knew I just had to have. It was a real treat!

I started to notice in my early 20's a decline in bookstores in the States. Businesses were closing their doors after years of service and countless reading recommendations. The Kindle and the Nook were slowly taking each one out, sort of like an epidemic. One by one, they all started to fall. I always thought that was a real shame. There is nothing like the feel of a new book in your hands when you first peel back the cover and take in the fresh scent of the printed paper. Too nerdy? Nah! My fellow bookworms feel me. πŸ›πŸ“–

Bookstores are wonderful and they are on many corners here in the UK. My little town outside of Oxford has two "little shops around the corner" and one chain store. I love them dearly. My favorite is simply just known as "The Bookstore". The owner has run his shop now for almost 20 years. He is a gleeful old chap and learns his customers' names so he can greet them personally. If he doesn't have your book on hand, he will order it or get it for you somehow. 

Bookstores aren't the only "mom and pop shop" in town. The UK is full of them. Each town has a High Street full of specialty shops run by the hard-working families that operate them. Aaron and I found a quaint little cafΓ© in our town square that makes the best breakfast sandwiches I've ever had. No need to run to McD's for a quick bite. In fact, stay away from American chains if you can. There are too many family-owned restaurants to wet your pallet. 

Gardens

As I said before, this is an island of lush grounds and vegetation. Most houses have a beautiful garden attached to them, and you will regularly see folks out tending to their flower beds or lawns. I have no idea what the insides of their homes look like, but their outdoors are on point! 

To that end, let me introduce the electric mower. I would have taken a picture of my neighbor if that wouldn't have been too weird. She was outside mowing her yard and was moving a cord to and fro. Folks, she looked like she was VACUUMING. Her mower was electric, not petrol run! I had to stop her and talk to her about it. She insisted I must have one!

I never even knew they made such a thing. It was a little larger than a vacuum and had a large bag on the back like a standard mower. It was the neatest thing I'd ever seen. My only concern would be rolling over the top of the cord while mowing. Game over I'm afraid. Still...well done, UK.

Grocery Delivery

My regular readers know I have mentioned this before, but it needs mentioning again. I never tire of placing my order on my phone for the week's groceries and having them delivered to my doorstep for a measly £60/year. I am not sure I will know what to do with myself when I have to go back to the States and physically shop at Wal-Mart. You may find me quietly sobbing in the corner while my three heathens tip over your beautiful food displays. There are many things I look forward to returning home for, but food shopping isn't one of them. I've been spoiled, GB! 

Favorite Foods

My family has certainly acquired a taste for some of your British delicacies. Paisley decided her favorite school lunch is a "jacket potato" with a side of beans in sauce. It is basically a loaded baked potato and something similar to baked beans. She regularly passes up on pizza and spaghetti for the British potato! 

Aaron and AJ are suckers for the chocolate digestive. I'm a fan of any kind of biscuit, but these two can plow through digestives like no one's business. We keep the cookie jar stocked with these tasty morsels. Brits don't have graham crackers, so these are a great replacement when fixing up a cheesecake or anything else in need of a crumbly crust. 

We also love Yorkshire pudding. I never thought to serve up fry bread with most meals, but I can tell you now that these bitesize puddings are the perfect scooping device for mashed potatoes, gravy, and any kind of meat 'n vegetable. They go great with honey, too. Fresh out of the oven and you can eat them like chips!

However, there is only one beast that can no longer have a place in my house. It is the temptress that is scones with clotted cream. Someone tell me I can find these beauties back home! Cherry scones are by far my favorite. They are like Pillsbury biscuits only sweeter and crumblier with fruit!

Clotted cream is it's own devil though. I literally look for things to put it on. It is a beautiful mixture of butter, cream cheese, and Redi Whip. It is a smooth and sweet spread that seriously tastes good on just about anything. Believe me, I've tried.

Soccer

Man does the UK love their football. Paisley has taken up the sport and she is digging it. I can't say she loves chasing the colorful ball around the field like a swarm of bees, but she has settled into being the goalkeeper. She loves it! 

She fancies it so much, however, I often see her talk other kids out of playing the goalie so she can have another go at it. If they protest, then she physically removes them. "Uh, who's kid is that?" 

I would object to her settling into the position that moves the LEAST on the field, except that she is actually quite good at it. She isn't afraid of the ball at all. She steps right out in front of it and loves to block. If only I could get her to pay attention the rest of the time. She drifts off into La La Land and has these episodes in between all the action. I guess that's 4 for ya! 



Pets

Britain is a very animal-friendly country. Let's just say you are more trust-worthy if you have a dog. Animals are welcomed on all fronts, into the houses of others, shops, and museums. You may see other "non-traditional" pets as well. Such as our neighbor's turtle, Speedy. She is over 60 years old and burrows under the tree in their backyard for winter.

When spring comes, Speedy will tell us, because she will magically just appear one day out on the yard. Last weekend made it official, Speedy is here to stay and moving faster than ever. AJ really took a liking to his new friend.


I Miss Home...

Although we're quite comfortable here in Britain, there are certainly things I miss. Not just the big things like driving on the right side of the road or American currency, but all the little nit noid things like a popcorn button on your microwave, cooking in Fahrenheit, or closets for that matter. 

I think as we roll into the summer months, I am about to miss America even more. God bless air conditioning. Folks, very few places here have it! I was in church last Sunday in the afternoon. It wasn't a particularly hot day; it may have reached 62? The building was uncomfortably warm.

Other things I find myself daydreaming about are garbage disposals, delivery from any store in America (many won't ship overseas), parking, real glue sticks, large roads, malls, a pantry, larger sinks, multiple outlets in the same room, outlets in a bathroom, central heating, window screens, hash browns, and all my appliances back home running on 110v. 

One might count up all these things and go running for the door. Not us! While we certainly look forward to our return to endless blue skies, sunshine, and the Rocky Mountains, our home away from home is proving to be a nice little fit for our family. 

What's up on the docket?

End of term is shortly upon us and we are headed to Scotland. My buddy, Kristen, is flying in from Colorado for two weeks and I have our schedule slammed with lots of touristy things to do. I can't wait. Stay tuned for our next adventures while we take our new van on a long haul up north!

Xx,
~K

2 comments: