Monday, August 22, 2016

Recharging the Soul

We received a call from the British consulate office located in New York where the UK Visa Application Processing Center resides. They informed us that AJ was not a candidate for the general visitor visa and would surely be denied. To avoid a lifelong smear on future applications, she recommended we swiftly withdraw our application. You can imagine the plummet my stomach took upon the delivery of this news! The agent instantly remedied my ailing feeling with the revealing of a new law passed in the UK just last November of 2015. The law allows entry into country of all dependents named on your official orders with proof of identity and dependency (birth certificate) along with ANY passport. Thank the heavens above! We lost our application fee of almost $400, but Aaron and I both would throw a million dollars at the border if it meant we got to keep our son with us on this tour. So much built up anxiety was laid to rest after one simple phone call. Let me sum up the last week of events with one simple phrase: "I'm TIRED!"

Six years ago before departing Montana for our new home in Colorado, I suggested we take a trip to Glacier National Park for some laid back family time and travel the scenic "Going to the Sun Road". It was Aaron's first time to see that part of the country and an enjoyable way to say goodbye before our timely exit.

When my brother Tim suggested we take a long weekend and head up to Glacier to camp and relive some childhood memories, you can bet I jumped at the offer. After such an exhausting week of bureaucratic disputes, it was just what this couple needed; a long enjoyable escape through the Rocky Mountains.


We took our time driving through East Glacier along Highway 2 until we arrived in Columbia Falls. My sister-in-law, Kyla, stumbled upon a perfectly suited campground for our young families complete with a trampoline, playground, and horseshoe arena. The first night was just a simple gathering of stories and laughter watching the cousins interact and play. However, I discovered Tim is quite the chef. Give that man a spatula and a mini-grill, and he will whip up a smorgasbord of savory treats. BBQ chops, hamburgers, hot dogs, eggs, sausages, bacon, and pancakes! You name it; he made it! Between him on the cooker and Kyla whipping up snacks in the camper, we had ourselves a feast at every meal.


My parents arrived in West Glacier the following morning to join up with us on our way into the heart of the park, the breathtaking "Going to the Sun Road". Just entering the gates left me with a gaping mouth. It doesn't matter how many times I come up here, the mountains never fail to produce such awe.


Our first stop was along Lake McDonald. As kids, Tim and I explored this same lake with our dad and other siblings. It was a special treat to see our own youngsters elated by the same experiences we so enjoyed as youth ourselves. There is a unique feeling when seeing your children walk the same footsteps you did as a kid. I saw the same pride in my big brother's eyes as I had in my own.



There is great splendor in the simple act of skipping stones across a still lake and we all partook, from oldest to youngest. I think Kyla won the skipping contest for most bounces. You would have thought her rocks had springs on the bottoms the way they bounded across the surface. If there were a prize for distance, by golly, Tim was the victor. His stones made their way far outstretched into the middle of the lake. We all took pleasure in the water play that morning with the exception of Channing. She didn't feel the same way about Lake McDonald as the rest of us.

It was time to pack up and continue on our excursion. Several miles of thick evergreens with mountains dangling above was our companion along the windy path. When the road narrowed and our caravan started to climb, the trees broke leaving us in God's country. My mind had The Sound of Music playing in the background as the mountains truly sang their beautiful music straight to my heart. Powerful emotions escaped me in the form of big crocodile tears! This was the Montana I have loved my whole life, and I was coming to say goodbye once again. If I could have shot out of the window to join the soaring bald eagles above, I would have. I lost count of how many times Aaron told me to be careful and not fall out of the car window or drop my phone while leaning out to capture every moment I possibly could with my camera. My pictures and memories will hold my soul content for another three years as I learn to appreciate a new history and culture.



We pulled off mid-day to let the kidlets venture out into the wooded area and cook up some lunch. A tailgate in Glacier? Is there anything more appetizing? No. No there isn't. Lunch came and went and we headed back.

With the kids begging for more time in the water, we "obliged" for a secondary and even a tertiary detour back to the water's edge. The kids' clothes and shoes were shed this time and a quick dip in the lake was just the tonic they needed after a day spent in the car before returning to camp for the night.



Saturday was met with a trip to Big Sky Waterslides, another pit stop in childhood reminiscing. Tim and I have ridden these slides countless times as babes and couldn't wait for our own to take in the same joy! Gage and Paisley got our money's worth only taking breaks to potty and grab bites of food before returning to the water extravaganza. After two or three short trips riding doubles, the two little water warriors were ready to fly solo.





AJ and Ryder tolerated one single ride down the kid slides and retired to the kiddy pool for the remainder of the day. Not a bad time for the adults wanting to bask in the sunshine only. Aaron and I got to even experience a few trips down the lazy river atop our inner tubes thanks to Grandpa and Grandma. I've always been a water baby and enjoy a wild ride plunging me into a pool at the end. Aaron...not so much! He likes his feet firmly planted on the ground. We won't joke that he is in the Air Force. Hehe! We weren't back at camp but 20 minutes and Paisley was out like a light and no amount of shaking would wake her. That girl had fun!

Sunday wrapped up with a bit of breakfast and more time playing "house" and "airplane" at the playground with all the cousins. Channing popped up in the morning with a little bit of croup so we made our way home quickly that morning in case we needed to head to the hospital.

All in all, the weekend was a perfect way to say, "Farewell for now, Montana. Thank you for your endless blue skies and majestic mountains. You have fed my spirit for another tour. I will be back."


Take a moment today to enjoy the beautiful creations about you. The Master didn't have to create such gorgeous landscapes, but He did, and He did it for our enjoyment.

Here is a YouTube video comprising the majority of our trip together:

https://youtu.be/HoZpCEMtlmE

Love, ~K

4 comments:

  1. This was a great trip! So important to appreciate the world around us. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to reminisce isn't it! Thank you for sharing these beautiful words and pictures. Love, Aunt Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reminiscing is time well spent in a fast paced kind of life!

      Delete