Thursday, September 1, 2016

There's No Place Like Home

When I graduated high school back in 2003, (YIKES! Don't do the math! It says I'm 31.) I couldn't wait to pack my bags; I couldn't wait to leave this small dirt road town fast enough. I think when you are 18, you have little appreciation for the small, simple, and wonderful things in life. My hometown is one of those small, simple, AND wonderful things. Every time my car hits the I-15 trek back to where I live, my eyes fill with tears and my heart aches watching its skyline fade in the distance as I count the mile markers leading me further and further away. How could I miss this mosquito dwelling, rinky dink community so much? Well, let me tell ya!

Many days at home were simply spent in the comfort of my childhood house. We usually visit during the winter and holiday months as the lands are filled with ice, snow, and subzero temperatures. This was the first time, since AJ was an infant, seeing our place in the summer months. What fun I had exploring the property with the kids showing them where mommy played as a child! My cheeks hurt from smiling so much taking them to see the horses, touring the barn, playing with the latest batch of kitties, and simply walking the grounds. Stories from deep inside my heart popped up almost instantly as if a tree or a building unlocked my memory. 

Seeing what joy my home brought me had me craving more walks down memory lane. Since Aaron had so much more work to do in preparation for our move, I decided it was time to see my elementary school again. I haven't driven through my hometown in over 13 years. Arriving in my dad's pick-up to the front office of my school set my heart racing. I was elated to bring my kids to the playground that brought me so much happiness as a youngster. Cheers and excitement wailed from my children as they peered around the building and into the playground! I, on the other hand, exploded with goosebumps! 







We spent over two hours running, playing, and trying out all the equipment. I was happy to see so many pieces of my former schoolyard still standing in perfect condition. I was also pleased to see that my school still continues to build, change, and improve for its pupils. You have to understand that in a community that has so small a population and a school enrollment almost laughable, it's hard to keep up with the fancy equipment, but somehow, they provide. That's what is so magical about a small town. They ALWAYS find a way to give back to their youth. 










Let's not forget the bounty of perfect climbing trees surrounding the school grounds. Many of which my son discovered forging the same relationship as I did as a child. Only he never skinned a knee! Paisley was more entertained by all the areas I used to play "house" in as a wee one. We even entertained the idea of her being in charge while I played the baby. She will make a great mommy some day; girl loves to bark out orders! LOL!

My trip down memory lane didn't end there! I returned home and told Aaron we HAVE to eat at Les' Bar. Les' definitely has a special place in my heart. It's where us kids went during the summer to rent movies, grab treats with our allowance, eat lunch, and hang out with friends after school and sporting events. It was a MUST that my husband experience the local grub and friendly faces that welcome you by name the moment you enter through the door. The food was delicious and the company fantastic. Aaron caught the Les' bug and has been begging a return trip since we left.

One can't forget the little neighboring town I also frequented as a babe. Summers were not complete without several trips to the swimming pool perfecting my cannon ball into the deep end and playing several rounds of H-O-R-S-E on poolside hoop. My babies took in the same pleasure visiting the pool. A hot summer day isn't complete without an ice cream cone for the trip home.

 






With my brother Tim just down the road an hour, you can guarantee we drove south as often as our schedule permitted. Cousins are the best and my little Paisley is already heartbroken she is now out of time to see them and play more with their toys. My two nephews are officially her "other brothers". 



Two weeks flew by and my mom and I saw little time remaining to spend some one-on-one time together. We stole away for a day and drove into Great Falls for an afternoon of laughter and shopping. I've been studying the trends of Great Britain and came across some must haves even in our little shopping center, so now I'm set. Look out UK, here I come! Boyfriend jeans, long open sweaters, and booties in hand!

I took an afternoon to spend a lunch with my Uncle Kenny. My uncle is timeless and looks amazing for his 70's. We had some great chuckles joking about my growing similarities to my mother including my laugh, my mannerisms, and even the way I walk. We shared countless stories of times we shared together and his new adventures as a grandpa. 

Next stop was my Aunt Susan in her assisted living facility. My aunt has a special spirit about her. She is a feisty, fierce woman who battles the disabling effects of encephalitis given to her as a baby. She is a pioneer in her family, and I love her devotion to her faith and her work ethic. I told her all about AJ and his challenges, and I could instantly feel a bond between us that never before existed. A commonality was born and a seeming wall between us demolished. I normally struggle to understand her speech and barely maintain a conversation with her at best, but this time was different. It was as if we had our own language. She gave me great courage in my journey ahead with all I stand to face in England as far as school placement and the anxiety I feel about AJ succeeding academically abroad. She told me to push him and make sure he works hard. She said he will always need to work harder than others and with me by his side, he will be just fine. She told me he needs his family and that we made the right choice bringing him with us. You may not have guessed it, but Aaron and I have spent many restless nights praying to know if we were doing AJ an injustice forcing him to move with us overseas and reviewed all our options several times, each time wondering if we had made the right decision. She told me to keep AJ and Paisley close as his sister will be his protector and not allow anything to happen to him now or ever. I will never forget this special time with my aunt as the time God allowed me the gift of listening and understanding from one of his servants on Earth. 




We hit the local park a few more times to end our last days at home. Grandma even escaped an afternoon from work to come play and be a child alongside my own. What a treat to see my kids playing with their grandma. We enjoyed one last evening out for pizza and games. My brother Tim joined us for a bit on his drive back home, and I was able to sneak in a hug and a few pictures to mark the occasion. Man my kids are going to miss their Uncle Tim.




As I depart the great 406 tomorrow afternoon on our way to Washington D.C., I'm left with a pit in my stomach. Oh how I will miss these dirt roads, aging buildings, and yes, even the mosquitos, because there are so many places I have deep fondness for, but with Montana...it's love. Now as an aging adult, I have so much more appreciation for the simplicity and quietness this peaceful town has to offer. I now appreciate the familiar faces and the slower pace around these parts. I love the friendliness among neighbors that would bend over backwards in service to take care of one another. I love the cheerfulness when good news is spread about growing numbers in grandchildren and the sense of community when tragedy prevails. Gosh, I wish I owned a pair of those bright ruby red slippers to click together 3 times anytime I yearned for a quick return. This small town is second to none and I will miss it dearly.

Next stop...D.C.!!! We plan to make the most of our ten days in our nation's capital and see as many national treasures as possible. We have been in frequent contact with Rep. Chaffetz's team on the Autism Caucus and hope to meet with them during our brief stay in Washington. Stay tuned on our crazy adventure as Sept. 12th soon approaches! 

Here is a Youtube video comprising our quick 3 weeks here in Montana: 

Farewell for now!
~K

5 comments:

  1. Wish I could have gone with you guys to the school park...but thanks for letting me work! It was quite helpful and I'm glad you guys had such a good time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing young lady! You make me feel like I'm experiencing all of this with you. Tears have fallen while reading this one. I'm so happy you can experience "the past" with such joy. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. Love, Auntie Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you so much! Thanks for the mighty compliment. I'm obsessed with old-fashioned writing that allows you to escape into the story. They didn't have television back then so you were left to your imagination. I hope I can continue to inspire and draw emotions from you along the way! 😀

      Delete
  3. You are amazing young lady! You make me feel like I'm experiencing all of this with you. Tears have fallen while reading this one. I'm so happy you can experience "the past" with such joy. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. Love, Auntie Sonia

    ReplyDelete